2009/10/18

Purging Stuff

I liken myself as a non-materialist (at least relative to my typical Seattle neighbor). That being said, I've noticed that it's harder and harder to "clean" my tiny one-room apartment. It just feels like a storage place for all the clutter I seem to collect. In a place as small as mine (250 square feet, I think?), this is feeling unbearable.

So along comes this website where this guy is committed to simplify his life. For the past several weeks, he's been getting rid of ten things a week.

Seems like a doable project - although Sunny tells me that at that rate, it'd be months before I could see any progress, even in a small place like mine.

But here goes... Today, I got rid of:


1. Two broken cell phones (although this only counts as one, since I replaced one with a working one) - got trade-in cash value for both at Car Toys, resulting in $20 net cost for a simple, no-frills handset (no picture)

2. Cell phone "pouch" and two chargers (I'll count these as one) - gave to Car Toys' donation pile (no picture)

3. Wallet I bought at Urban Outfitters on clearance ($5.00) that I never ended up using and likely never will - apartment's free pile

4. Fabric shower caddy that I no longer use - trash

5. Vinyl cosmetic case that I haven't used in years - pathetic-looking enough to warrant disposal

6. Free apron I got at an MEDC annual dinner 3 or 4 years ago, never used - free pile

7. Collapsible lunch "disc" that I haven't used in years (I now use a fabric shopping bag to carry my lunch) - free pile

8. Universal remote control, for when I used to watch television and had a working DVD player - free pile

9. Candle dish, given by Sister Therese to participants of this spring's St. Placid Priory silent retreat; a lovely gesture but I don't have the space to justify it - free pile

10. Handsfree mic/earpiece for a phone I no longer own - free pile

1 comment:

amanda + daniel said...

this is inspiring; i want to try this myself! keep up the good work!