2009/10/20

Purging Stuff II

I can hardly wait until next weekend when I can get rid of ten more things. I know, I know. I don't have to wait a whole week, but what if I go nuts and then run out of things to purge before I've had a chance to concretize the habit?

(Yes, concretize is a word. My colleague and I actually looked it up on dictionary.com after she exclaimed, "I've never heard that word before! Did you make it up??")

I think I might try a zone process of purging. Kitchen cupboards, top of secretary, inside the secretary, desk, bookshelves, closet, random stuff I've stored under my bed...

This weekend's zone: ten things stored inside my secretary. Surely there are at least ten things in it that I can part with. I'm already eying a wooden hand massage thing-a-me-bopper. You'll have to wait until this weekend's post to see what I'm talking about.

Can I part with my VHS collection too? I have the entire THX VHS boxset for Star Wars. I love owning the first (or is it now last) three episodes of the trilogy, the sci-fi geek that I am. On the other hand, I don't have a working video cassette player anymore. At this point, it's just sentimentality that keeps me holding on.

I never likened myself as a particularly sentimental person, but I do appreciate that about ten years ago my dad asked me what I wanted for Christmas, bought it for me, and then even sat through about an hour of a film with me. Granted, he kept saying, "That's not real!" (Er, I guess the concept of sci-fi never hit it big in Korea.)

---

And then along comes this podcast this morning (10/21): What Our Stuff Says About Us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing should be spared. How will you document purging things that readers of this blog may have given you?

SuJ'n said...

an homage, like the one I just gave I suppose. (still thinking about keeping the boxset...)

dan said...

I had a different kind of purge foisted upon me recently--my computer contracted a nasty virus that forced me to re-boot my operating system. While most of my most vital text files were backed up (thankfully), many media files and other minor programs all got the boot. It's actually been kind of nice to have to start over, digitally speaking.